Saturday, October 22, 2016

"Martha, Martha"


Luke 10:38-42
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Alexa opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Alexa was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
“Alexa, Alexa,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Have you ever done that? Put your own name in a Scripture passage and have it smack you in the face? My last blog post was on the Sabbath, and how I am trying to keep it this year. Last week in my discipleship group at school we read Luke 10:38-42, when Jesus is at the home of Mary and Martha. Ask me who is the one Bible character I relate to most, and its probably Martha. If Jesus came to my house (or anyone else for that matter), of course I'd be running around doing this and that "for Him," wanting everything to be perfect. 

But I have to stop and think: All these "preparations that had to be made," who says they have to be made? Did Jesus tell me to do all these things? Or did culture, selfish ambition, or just my desire to please others tell me these things had to be done? So often Satan can distract us with "good things" that we think we are doing for the Lord, when in reality, He never told us to do those things, and they end up taking away from our relationship with Him.

Another thing that strikes me in this passage: When Jesus finally speaks to Martha, He calls her name twice. Was she so busy that she couldn't hear Jesus call to her the first time? Do I ever make Jesus call my name more than once?

So often the Lord just wants us to sit at His feet and enjoy His presence, and actually give Him a chance to talk for once, rather than continuing to ramble on with our never-ending list of petitions. We ask the Lord to show up and speak, but how can He if we never stop? Stop talking, stop moving, just be still and listen. It may not happen immediately, but I can share from experience that He will speak. And there is nothing like it.

So I'm trying to work on my "Martha" tendencies. Or should I say, not work...you know what I mean. God is waiting on us to come sit at His feet. Can I encourage you to take some time to wait on Him, and just see what He does?

Alexa
al02846@georgiasouthern.edu 
Image result for mary and martha

No comments:

Post a Comment