Sunday, March 27, 2016

Perspective

Happy Easter everyone!

This has been the best Easter because my parents have come to Honduras for the first time to visit me! I took them on lots of adventures this week, but our favorite was probably Good Friday in Comayagua.

Comayagua is a larger city about 45 minutes from Siguatepeque where I live. Every year on Good Friday they have a large celebration of sawdust carpets, which are exactly that. Families or groups come together, plan a design, carve out wood stencils, and then create a huge "carpet" out of color dyed sawdust on the streets of downtown Comayagua, and people come from all over to see these creations. This was my first time as well ,and it was truly incredible. We walked around looking at all of these huge sawdust carpets, marveling at how long they must have been planning and working to achieve that amount of detail and perfection.

Some of the carpets had large ladders set up so that you could climb up to see the full picture of the carpet and take a photo. Below is mom on one of the ladders getting a picture of one of the carpets. 


Something funny happened as we were looking at one of the carpets. Dad and I walked up to one of these huge carpets, and almost immediately we saw the figures of Jesus and a crying Mary. It was beautiful. Mom walked up a few seconds later and looked at that same carpet, not saying anything. She took out her camera to take a picture of the carpet, and after looking at the photo exclaimed, "Oh, look! It's Jesus! And Mary!" (Dad and I may or may not have said out loud, "Well duh.")


But this got me thinking about perspective (hence the title of this post). Dad and I were standing at the right angle to where we had the right perspective on this carpet and could see the full picture. Mom was apparently standing at an angle where she didn't have the right perspective and couldn't see the whole image until she looked at the picture she had taken. We encountered many more carpets like this, where in the moment we saw pieces and parts, but missed a key component of the image.

Like this carpet, which says 
"Because of God's mercy, we have water." 
In the picture taken from one of the ladders, 
you can clearly see the shape of a water droplet under Jesus, 
but when I was standing next to the carpet looking at it, 
I missed that detail.

And in this carpet, you can see the image 
of the Father behind Jesus on the cross, 
almost as if God is supporting Jesus and holding Him up. 
Again, I missed this beautiful detail 
when looking at the carpet from my perspective, 
and only realized it later when looking at this photo.

So all of this got me thinking about perspective in a larger sense. How often do we look at things happening in our lives or in our world and don't understand, or even dare to ask God, "Why?" But the Father, looking down from His heavenly perspective in which He sees and knows all things, says, "Don't worry, child. I know what I'm doing. You can't see all the details of this beautiful picture from where you are, with your limited perspective, but from up here I see the whole thing, and what I am creating is beautiful. Trust me."

God is not only on the ladder. He sees the complete carpet because He also DESIGNED that carpet. He designed every carpet, and while we, who are just standing on the same level looking on, think we see the whole picture and know how it's going to turn out, only God really knows. And He is the master designer. 

From our earthly perspective, things may look a mess. We may be unsure of the design or how the carpet will turn out, but God has been planning things longer than these people have been planning these intricate carpets. And His perspective is perfect. 

So now I'm praying for new eyes, to look at things from His perspective. And maybe instead of asking, "Why?" I can instead say, "God, help me to see this situation from your perfect perspective instead of my flawed one." That will make this picture we call life so much more beautiful.

Alexa
al02846@georgiasouthern.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment