Saturday, February 27, 2016

My Favorite Bible Story

Recently, I asked my older students to write and talk with me about their favorite Bible story, and almost all of them wrote about Joseph in Genesis and how he forgave his brothers and God had a plan in everything. I too shared my favorite story, and I thought I'd share it with all of you today, since it has come up in almost every song I sang at the Spanish and English churches I attend.

My favorite story, found in Luke 7, is about Jesus being annointed by the sinful woman. I wrote about this story almost exactly a year ago in the blog here

http://becauseofmynamematthew1929.blogspot.com/2015/03/perfume-tus-pies-perfume-at-your-feet.html


and now that I think about it, it's strange that this same story is coming up again at almost the same time. But anyways, here's a little of the story:


When one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, he went to the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table. A woman in that town who lived a sinful life learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee’s house, so she came there with an alabaster jar of perfume. As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.
Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.” The other guests began to say among themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?” Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”
Luke 7:36-37, 48-50
This woman, with no concern for herself, "wasted" it all on Jesus. She gave it all. This is the kind of woman I want to be. This story is my favorite not because it gives me the warm-fuzzy feel-goods, but because it challenges me.
First, it challenges me to bring my very best to Jesus. Even the things I may not want to sacrifice to Him, He is worthy of them. The things I hold on to the hardest, He calls me to lay at His feet.
Second, it challenges me just to spend time at the feet of Jesus, worshiping and enjoying His presence. I know I can never do enough of this.
I am not very eloquent with words, but Christian song writers are, so I would like to leave you with the lyrics of those songs that touched my heart this week, two in English and two in Spanish:
The More I Seek You - Kari Jobe
The more I seek you,
The more I find you
The more I find you, 
The more I love you
I want to sit at your feet
Drink from the cup in your hand.
Lay back against you and breathe, 
Feel your heart beat
This love is so deep, 
It's more than I can stand
I melt in your peace, 
It's overwhelming
Alabaster - Rend Collective
I am broken at Your feet
Like an alabaster jar
Every piece of who I am
Laid before Your majesty
I will bow my life
At Your feet, at Your feet
My lips
So lost for words
Will kiss Your feet, kiss Your feet
Oh the gravity of You
Draws my soul unto its knees 
I will never be the same
I am lost and found in You 
No Hay Lugar Mas Alto
(There Is No Higher Place)
My heart burns at your feet
I give what I am at your feet
It is the place of my security
Where anyone can show me
You forgave me,
I came closer to your presence,
You raised me up,
Today I bow to worship you.
There is no higher place,
bigger place,
than to be at your feet
than to be at your feet.
And here I will stay,
Prostrate at your feet.
And will I stay here
At the feet of Christ.
Traigo mi Perfume
(I Bring My Perfume)
I bring my perfume 
Today I want to anoint you
I pour out my heart 
In front of you Jesus 
And I kiss your feet in front of everyone, 
It's not important what they think of me. 
I kiss your feet in front of everyone, 
I just want to see you smile.
Jesus nobody loved me like this.
Alexa
al02846@georgiasouthern.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment