Sunday, November 15, 2015

Thankfulness

Although Thanksgiving is obviously not a thing here in Honduras, we do celebrate a day of thanks at school, and so leading up to that, I have been having my older students write a list of things they are thankful for each day. Since we're all in the thanksgiving holiday mindset, I would like to share some awesome people I have been super thankful for the past year and a half.

I have to start with my mom. When I first broached the subject of teaching in another country for a year, I expected a major freak-out, but she was very calm, which was one of my first signs that this was the right thing to do. Although I know she's not 100% thrilled about me being so far away, she is 100% supportive and encouraging, and is always there when I need teaching advice or just a friend to talk to. I never really thought my mom would be one of my best friends, but she is, and I am so thankful for her love and desire to protect me, but also her willingness to give me up to what God has for me.

Then there's my dad. He's the one who always wants to know all the details. I think he's had to learn along with me that we don't always get to see all the details, but God does. I am thankful for his supportiveness as well. I got blessed with two awesome parents who love the Lord, and I am beyond thankful for both of them.

Rhonda Jackson is the woman who God called to start the ministry of Destino del Reino. I am thankful for her leadership, and her total obedience and submission in everything God has called her. She has an incredibly huge faith, and without her willingness to be used, this ministry would not be where it is. Her story has taught me to trust God more, and be more sensitive to His promptings. I am thankful she allowed me to come here to teach for a year, which turned into two years, which will turn into I don't know what!

Jenna is on her 5th year here, and I am so thankful for her experience so when the rest of us pester her with questions, she usually has the answers. I love her sweet spirit and her encouraging words. She also has an awesome faith that has challenged me in my time here. And she's the social butterfly of our group, so she draws me out of my shell a lot.

Bethany came the year before I did, and she is an introvert like me, so we understand each other. I assist her in her classes, and she in my 9th grade class, so I am thankful we can bounce ideas off of each other. She is a very deep thinker, and I am also thankful for the way she challenges us with the tough questions. Also, both Bethany and Jenna are musically talented, so I get doubly-blessed with random worship jam sessions at home.

Sheena and Kathy are the two older ladies who teach with us. I am thankful for their faith and life experiences, and the wisdom they share with us daily. Plus, they read awesome books all the time, which they then pass on to the rest of us :) The Lord knew what He was doing when He brought all of us to work and do life together.

These are just the few of the reasons I have to be thankful. God blessed me with each of you who read this and pray for me or support me financially, so thank you as well.


I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. For in him you have been enriched in every way—with all kinds of speech and with all knowledge—God thus confirming our testimony about Christ among you. Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. He will also keep you firm to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
1 Corinthians 1:4-9

Alexa
al02846@georgiasouthern.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment