Saturday, May 2, 2015

Testigo (Witness)

Witnessing. It's something we're all called to. No matter who you are, what you're job, if you call yourself a Christian, you also have to call yourself a witness. It's the one job that God assigns to every believer. The New Testament Lexical Aids defines "witness" as "one who has information or knowledge of something; hence, one who can give information, bring to light, or confirm something."

As Christians, we have the most important knowledge EVER. The knowledge of Jesus. And as David Platt challenged in Secret Church last weekend, how could we not share that? How could we not have this burning desire to bring others into the light that we enjoy?

My devotion this month is all about witnessing, and Beth Moore made a statement that really hit me hard. "When we're especially close to our spouses, children or friends, we tend to talk about them twice as much." And it's true. So then I have to ask, is it the same with my relationship with God? Are we so close that I can't have one conversation without bringing Him up, because He is so intertwined in everything I am doing?

Here is Honduras, this is a little easier. Everyone I am surrounded with on a regular basis is a strong believer who does nothing but encourage me in my faith. My whole purpose here is to share God, and I've seen Him do plenty of things worth sharing. 

But I can't help but think about coming home in a month and a half. Will it be the same? Will I continue to live out my job as a witness, or will I see this time as a "break" from the missionary life? Will I continue to share with others about what I've seen God do, or will I choose not to speak up because I think people won't care or won't understand?

The truth is, there are no "breaks." We are all called to be missionaries, and while I may be serving as a missionary overseas right now, this summer I will be a missionary back in my hometown. The lost, hurting,and confused aren't just here, they're there. And God doesn't want me to keep His works to myself, but He calls me to proclaim Him with reckless abandon. 

So will you pray for me to keep this mindset as I think about coming home this summer? And will you pray for me and encourage me while I'm there?

"I will bless the Lord at all times; 
his praise shall continually be in my mouth." 
Psalm 34:1

Alexa
al02846@georgiasouthern.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment