Sunday, May 10, 2015

Hermoso y Roto (Beautiful and Broken)

Last night, my housemates and I were going back over some of David Platt's points from Secret Church to digest and discuss a little more. We read through the awesomeness of who God is (creator of all, holy above all, just, good, and gracious) and then we got to who we are.

Beautiful, 
because we were created by this perfect God.
Broken,
because we have allowed sin to enter our lives.

And when we go back to the Garden, we see sin entered through a question: 

"Did God actually say, 'You shall not eat of any tree in the garden'?"
Genesis 3:3

And so David's point was we take God's commands ("The Lord God commanded the man saying, 'From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat") and turn them into questions ("Did God actually say...?").

And therein lies the problem.

And so the question was posed: "What command from God do you most often take and turn into a question about God?"

For me, the answer came almost too quickly.

God says, "I know, and am doing what's best for you."

I ask, "Are you sure, God? 
Is this really what's best for me? 
I think I know better..." 

But let me tell you. It's getting better. I used to think I had life under control, that I could handle things. But control is always an illusion, isn't it? Things were never under my control, the God of the universe has always been holding me up. And living here in Honduras has made me release a lot of that false-control back to God, and respond to Him with:

Yes God, you are sure.
This is what's best for me.
You know all.

No comments:

Post a Comment