Sunday, April 5, 2015

Semana Santa (Holy Week)

This week was what we call "Semana Santa," or "Holy Week." I got to spend an incredible week in Panama with my parents to celebrate. Last Saturday I took a taxi to the bus station in Sigua, a bus to the bus station in San Pedro, a taxi to the airport, a plane to San Jose, Costa Rica, then the same plane to Panama to meet up with my parents who arrived there the night before. Dad had rented a car, and let's just say driving a stick shift all around Panama was an adventure all on its own! It literally took all three pairs of our eyes every time we got in the car to make it anywhere, and we made wrong turns more times than I can count!

On Sunday we went to the Gamboa Union Church with Tony and Lisa Amstutz and family, and after we visited the Miraflores Locks to see how the Panama Canal Operates.



On Monday we walked around Casco Viejo, one of Panama's old cities, and did some shopping.




Tuesday was a visit to the Summit Zoo (the monkeys are my fav).




On Wednesday we went on the awesome boat cruise where we got to feed monkeys that jumped in our boat and spend the afternoon hanging out in hammocks on this floating dock where we ate lunch.






Thursday we toured the ruins of Panama Viejo.




And of course we spent lots of time by the pool and out on the town!





Saturday we got up SUPER early and took our respective flights back to our homes, and I was reunited with my housemates in Honduras one again! 

Today we celebrate the reason we are alive, the conquering of our Savior over the grave. How thankful I am for what He has done for me, and that because of His sacrifice, I can look forward to death because I know it means I will spend an eternity with Him. A week in Panama may have been nice, but forever in heaven? Nothing could ever compare.

"Alive! Alive! Look what mercy's overcome! Death has lost and love has won! Alive! Alive! Hallelujah, Risen Lord, the only One I fall before! I am His because He is alive!" -Alive (Mary Magdalene) from The Story

Alexa
al02846@georgiasouthern.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment