Sunday, October 26, 2014

What are you looking at?

This week at Destino was review week, as we have our first exam week starting Monday! For prepa and first grade, that meant playing some review games so we could spend the week going back over everything we've learned so far. Next week I will pull the kids out one at a time to orally test them on the alphabet, our vocabulary, and some phrases we've been learning. I know some of them are ready, but others I'm a little worried for. Should be an interesting week coming up!




Tuesday, Destino hosted two soccer games during the school day against the Montessori school. I got to see the end of the first game with the prepa kids and most of the second game with the second graders. We won both games (Go Lions!) but I think the kids were more interested in not being in class than they actually were in the game :) The older kids really got into it, cheering the team on. Montessori even brought little cheerleaders, pom-poms! Too cute.

Saturday, one of the teachers from another school in Sigua hosted a potluck so we got to go hang out with a group of other English speaking teachers from five different schools. Of course clumsy me started off the evening by falling in a ditch outside the house and scraping myself up, but the rest of the evening went up from there! It was a great time of fellowship and good food :)

Going into exam week I've been reading 2 Corinthians 4. Verse 18 says: "We set our eyes not on what we see, but what we cannot see. What we see will last only a short time, but what we cannot see will last forever." I can see what my students are learning about English, and what their grade will be, but God says that will last "only a short time," and it's true. The things I can't see are what my students know about Jesus, and this is what will last forever. 

Every morning the kids start the day by reciting "Quien Soy En Cristo," which means Who I Am In Christ. It is a front and back list of statements taken from Bible verses about who we are as Christians, like "Soy hijo de Dios" (I am a child of God), "Yo soy la sal de la tierra" (I am the salt of the earth), and "Yo soy el enemigo del diablo" (I am the enemy of the devil). The first graders, who I am with first thing in the morning, have this whole list memorized. They literally SCREAM it out to me every morning. But my prayer is that throughout this year, they will truly understand what they are saying. These are the truths God speaks about them, and all of us, and I hope they believe that and will walk in these truths.

That's why I titled this post "What are you looking at?" It's easy to get caught up in what we see, because it's right in front of our eyes, but take a step back, read 2 Corinthians 4, and start looking for what we cannot see. I'll tell you it's a challenge. I have to remind myself of that every day. What is "seen" is that I came to Honduras to be a volunteer English teacher in a school for poor kids, but what we cannot see is the impact that one person can make on a child's life just by showing them the love of Jesus that they may not see at home, through a smile, a hug, and a story in broken Spanish from the Bible.

Alexa
al02846@georgiasouthern.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment