Sunday, October 5, 2014

Rescate (Rescue)

Relatively regular week! Teaching has been going well, as have my Spanish lessons. Wednesday we missed the Destino bus for church, so my housemates and I watched our own sermon at the house.



One of my housemates, Bethany, had a birthday Friday! Thursday at our prayer meeting we ate a delicious chess cake and read her Bible verses we had prayed over and chosen to encourage her.


Friday Bethany, Jenna, Colton, and I had a picnic breakfast in our courtyard before school. A fun, delicious start to Bethany's birthday! I am the first one home on Fridays, so I made brownies from scratch to continue celebrating after school. We all went to dinner at the Chinese pizza place and then to a Honduran worship night, led by the nephew of our pastor at Destino. This was a cool experience after the English worship night we had a few weeks ago. The birthday celebrations concluded with more brownies in the courtyard.

Saturday was a relaxing day of rest. Did a little planning and a little reading in the hammock, and went to a coffee shop with Jenna.

Sunday we did errands and church. On the school bus on the way home, we got stuck on a hill in El Socorro, one of the neighborhoods, and everyone had to get off the bus and walk up the hill so the bus could meet us at the top! So that was fun.

This week I read some verses from Psalms 91 (thanks Bronwyn for the encouraging verses!). Verses 14-16 say: "The Lord says, 'I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. When they call on me, I will answer, I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue them and honor them. I will satisfy them with a long life and give them my salvation.' " Really, you should go read all of Psalm 91, because it's just awesome, but these verses about God rescuing His people really have been speaking to my heart. I know I need to be rescued from my daily problems and worries, but the people here have so much more they need to be rescued from: financial problems, illnesses, family tension, but most of all this belief that they need to DO things to obtain salvation. This verse says when they CALL ON ME I will answer...and give them my salvation. Does God want us to do good works in His name to bring glory to Him and be good witnesses to those around us? Of course. He wants us to care for His people as He does. But first, we have to call out to Him and realize that He is all we need. He is The Rescuer.

Alexa
al02846@georgiasouthern.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment