Friday, August 1, 2014

Contentment

Today is 16 days before I get on a plane to go live and teach in Honduras for the next year. I think the question I get asked the most leading up to my trip is, "How are your feeling?" Let's see, name every emotion you can think of. Excited? Of course! Nervous? Who wouldn't be? Scared? A little. 


But this morning, I started a new devotional called Voices of the Faithful. Each day, the devotion is written by a different missionary. For the month of August, the devotions all center around the theme of contentment. As Beth Moore points out in the introduction, we in America have a lot. Even those who think they don't have much, if they have an education, they're better of than they think. But even here in America, who would call themselves perfectly content? I know I can't ascribe that word to myself. In the introduction for this month, Beth Moore wrote, "Contentment has little to do with what we have or lack. It is a state of mind. One that is far more often learned than suddenly attained." 

We live in a culture of, "You'll just be happy if you get this," but the Bible tells us that's not true. It isn't things that make us content, it's God. If you don't believe me (and you shouldn't take just my word for it) read Philippians 4:11-13. It says, 
"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength." 
Paul was in PRISON, but he had still learned this "secret."

I know God has a good plan for everyone's life, including my own (per my favorite verse, Romans 8:28, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose."), and I know I am following God's call. There is no way I could have orchestrated all the events and moments that lead me to Honduras on my own. And so now I hope when someone asks me "How are you feeling?" God will teach me to answer "content."

Continue to follow my journey here on my blog, and check out the school where I'll be teaching at www.destinodelreino.org

Alexa
al02846@georgiasouthern.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment