Friday, June 6, 2014

1st Grade!!!

So, I've only had one post since I'm still home, but  have a few updates for those following along, so here goes number two!

Thursday morning I work up to a Facebook message from one of the teachers who is in Honduras right now congratulating me on taking over her position as first grade teacher at Destino del Reino. This is exciting news, as I was hoping and praying for an elementary age group. I can't wait to get down there and meet these precious first graders who I'll be teaching English to for the next year. So yay, big news! 

Some of you know my goal was to raise $6000 for this year. That is what they approximate it will cost to live in Honduras for the school year, including two round trip plane tickets. Good news, I have already met this goal! I am so thankful to First Baptist Church on the Square, Callie's Mission, The Trunk Slammers, Chick-fil-A, my family, and everyone else who has donated/bought a t-shirt/came to a fundraiser, etc. for helping me meet this goal. This was a huge concern God has taken care of for me. Any extra money I raise will be used to buy things for my class when I get there. So huge thank yous all around! 

This summer I'm home in LaGrange. After graduating from Georgia Southern on May 10th and closing the residence hall (I was a Community Leader, like an RA, for three years), I came home and helped my parents move into their new house in town. So for the summer I'm babysitting and teaching two different kids Bible studies at our church, in addition to organizing 5th grade VBX again this summer. I've already bought my first plane ticket, so I'll be leaving from Atlanta August 16th and returning home for a two week Christmas break December 20th. You can continue to follow my journey here on my blog, and you can check out the school where I'll be teaching at http://www.destinodelreino.org/ 

"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace." Numbers 6:24-26 

Alexa

al02846@georgiasouthern.edu

Update: I will also be teaching Prepa (Kindergarten)! Also, I worked Camp Viola last week, and the kids were talking about listening to and obeying God's voice. Since mom kept using me as an example, I talked to them on the last day about what it was like for me to hear God calling me to Honduras. You can watch it here http://youtu.be/9uaVJqGIv6A if you like!
26 

No comments:

Post a Comment