Saturday, January 25, 2014

After Graduation...

As a college senior, I often get asked the question, “So what are you doing after graduation?” For a while the answer was, “Hopefully teach somewhere!” I had been praying and praying for God to show me where I was supposed to go when I graduate. Stay in Statesboro? Move back home to LaGrange? Atlanta near my family? Leave the state? God didn’t seem to be providing me with any answers, but as always, He was working behind the scenes, waiting for the perfect moment to reveal His plans to me.

That time came when I was preparing to go on a mission trip to Gualaco, Olancho, Honduras with Broad Street Church of Christ and First Baptist Church of LaGrange. In the months leading up to this trip, I started noticing a guy posting links to his blog about teaching in Honduras in the Georgia Southern Baptist Colligate Ministry Facebook group. I honestly do not know if he had posted these links before, but in preparing for this trip, his post jumped out at me. I commented that I was preparing to go to Honduras on a mission trip, and started keeping up with his blog. He taught English at a bilingual Christian school called Destino del Reino (Destiny in the Kingdom) in Siguatepeque, Comayagua, Honduras. I enjoyed reading about what he was doing there, but the thought of me teaching there never really crossed my mind.

On December 26, 2012, our group from LaGrange left for Gualaco. We spent an awesome week ministering to the people of Honduras. I had organized mini- Vacation Bible Schools in Spanish, and we traveled to different villages to teach the kids. I loved everything about the experience, from the planning to the teaching to the trying to figure out how to communicate with the kids with my limited Spanish knowledge (only what I had retained from the three years in high school!). I was sad to leave on January 1, 2013, and I knew somehow I had to come back.

Back in the states and back at school I continued to follow the teacher’s blog and felt God begin to pull at my heart. The thought of leaving the country to teach was frightening, but I began praying about the possibility of teaching at Destino del Reino. I knew if this was what God called me to I wouldn’t say no, but I wanted to be sure! I was planning to return to Gualaco with another group from LaGrange on July 26, 2013, and asked God to make it clear to me before I came home from this trip if this was what he wanted me to do or not.

While in Honduras for that week, I consistently woke up before 6 AM every morning with a nervous feeling in my stomach and unable to go back to sleep, so I would get up and take my Bible, journal, and the book I was reading (A. W. Tozer’s The Attributes of God) down to the hammocks to read. If you want to know peace, sit in a hammock and talk to God at six in the morning. It’s awesome. God truly used this time to speak to me. (I now understand the meaning of Psalm 119:147-148: I rise before dawn and cry for help; I have put my hope in your word. My eyes stay open through the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promises.)

On Tuesday, July 30 Collin, our trip leader, gave our nightly devotion on Matthew 19:27-30, where Peter tells Jesus that the disciples have left everything to follow Him. In true God-fashion, He knew my concerns about moving to Honduras. I was scared of leaving everything I knew for the unknown. I was not sure I wanted to be that far away from all of my family and friends, not to mention my comfort zone. But God has this funny way of pulling my out of my “bubble.” And as Collin read verse 29, “And everyone who has left houses, brothers or sisters, father or mother, children, or fields because of My name will receive 100 times more and will inherit eternal life.” I knew I had to go. And I knew that I would be alright. Because I knew that God would take care of me. And I had peace.

Do I still get freaked out every now and again thinking about it? Sure I do! But God is working with me to calm those fears and teaching me to trust Him more than I ever have. He has already begun to provide for me financially through my church and my family, as this is a volunteer position and I must raise my own support to live in Honduras. I know God has a future planned for me way better than anything I could ever come up with, and I am excited to walk that road with Him. I am embarking on this journey because of His name, as the verse in Matthew says (hence the title of the blog). If you would like to know how you could help support me, feel free to contact me! F you want to learn more about the school, check out the website at 
http://www.destinodelreino.org/. I’ll use this blog to keep everyone stateside informed of my Honduran adventures after I move around August. Until then, “may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times in every way. The Lord be with you all.” 2 Thessalonians 3:16


Alexa
al02846@georgiasouthern.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment