I have learned...
1. how to arrange about 100 kids to all fit on one school bus.
2. how to flag down a taxi.
3. how many buckets of water it takes to fill up the washing machine (12).
4. to truly enjoy worship in a foreign language.
5. to speak Spanish.
6. to accept grace.
7. to hear God's voice.
8. to make (imperfect) tortillas.
9. to really trust God.
10. that no matter how many times I sweep the house, the dust will always find a way in.
11. that I need to be discipled.
12. that I need to disciple.
13. how to receive 30 hugs at once without falling over.
14. how to pretend being pegged in the back of the head with the soccer ball, accidentally (I think), didn't hurt.
15. how to engage my students in class.
16. to let go of control.
17. to expand my taste buds.
18. that if you want to motivate students, just offer them cookies. Or cupcakes. Or candy. Really, anything with sugar.
19. that the slow-paced Latin American lifestyle is true until they're behind the wheel of a car.
Nothing could have prepared me for the experience of the last four years, and as I get ready to leave this place I am so thankful for all that God has taught me through Honduras, my friends and coworkers, and my students. I will carry these memories and these lessons with me forever.
Dios le bendiga. (God bless you.)